See how gastric sleeve surgery in 2014 helped me lose lots of weight rapidly and made my life great once again. 
If you are severely overweight or morbidly obese and are considering surgery, then hopefully this site might help.

 Click to go to Late Night Banter

Click to donate to my "BIG 3 TO

CRUK 10K Winter Run 2019 - DONE
Vitality Big Half Marathon 2019 - DONE

 Sunday 28th April 2019 -        
   London Marathon (26.2 miles)

* Sunday 8th September 2019 -   
   Gt North Run (13.1 miles)

* Sunday 20th October 2019 - 
   Gt South Run (10 miles)
  Running all over cancer & raising

  funds for Cancer Research UK  

Click to learn about  

 Join us in organising & 

 taking part in this 24hr 
 running, walking and
 fun event to help beat
 cancer sooner

 Cancer doesn't sleep

 so neither will we. Let's
 do this together.

My 2018 QHF Marathon Challenge for HEAL Charity - To run a 1/4, 1/2 and Full Marathon during 2018 and raise money to help orphaned children in India.

​​For 2018 I have committed myself, committed being the operative word to pushing myself even harder and further with my running and all for a good cause.  My 2018 QHF Marathon Challenge will see me run a 1/4, 1/2 and Full marathon in 2018 - Brighton 10Km in April (Quarter Marathon - 6.5 Miles), Loch Ness Marathon in September (Full Marathon - 26 Miles), Peterborough, Gt Eastern Run in October (Half Marathon - 13 Miles).  I am hoping to raise funds for HEAL (Health & Education for All) a charity that helps orphaned children in India. 

Help me please to change the lives of vulnerable young children by supporting my challenge - go to and donate - thank you.
​​Loch Ness: 23rd Sept 2018-Marathon (26.2 miles)​​
For anyone considering running their first marathon my advice would be the Loch Ness Marathon is probably not the easiest option as I found out in October 2018 when I took part.  My race day started at 5am as getting ready for me means lots of KT tape, strappings and supports, plus a small pot of instant porridge. A taxi ride to Bught Park in the middle of Inverness to register by 6.30am as I couldn't the night before meant a fair bit of waiting around in the cold.  Then a coach ride of an hour plus on winding roads in a convoy of buses to Loch Ness.  My race started as the coach stopped and like hundreds desparate for the toilet I ran to the bank of potable loo's - first part of the mission complete, not weeing myself before the race!

The setting by the banks of Loch Ness in the highlands is simply breathtaking and with over 4000 people with you there is no shortage of chat and banter before the starting gun.  To the strains of The Proclaimers, 500 Miles we hit the road.  Thanfully the weather was cool but dry but I for one hadn't banked on the long runs up and down hilly roads.   As I relaxed into my stride the rain started, fortunately it was sporadic and not constant but still made things that much harder.

By the half way mark, 13 miles in and I was beginning to feel it on my knees but I was still in good spirits and knew I had it in me to keep going based on my training runs.   The running in isolation save for the odd runner several hundred yards in front of me or behind me wasn't an alien experience for me as I had pretty much trained alone.  When I did manage to strike up a conversation with a fellow runner it was just to encourage each other along and always to talk about my weight loss journey photo displayed on the back of my running shirt - people were definitely impressed at the change in lifestyle I'd made.

At around 4 hours in some of the roads had now been opened and whilst many local drivers showed great care and empathy by driving by runners on the road slowly others chose to flash by at 60 or 70mph.  One in particular in a blue Mondeo even made a point of opening his passenger side window and swearing at runners as he sped by, no doubt frustrated at the road closures affecting his day.

Having survived the road rage drivers I was delighted to reach Inverness, knowing the finish line was now a mere 3 miles away.  But then at around 24 miles I hit the dreaded "Wall", my running decelerated to a slow walk and my head told me I should sit down and take a break.  The sight of a bench at the side of the road was the ultimate temptation but thankfully my brain was overruled by my legs which simply walked straight by it and onwards. 

I knew I was getting closer to the finish as passers by told me; "You're nearly there" and encouraged me and applauded.  The fact I'd now been running for near on 7 hours with only a pot of porridge, a banana, a couple of energy bars and gels inside me hit me hard at 25 miles as my blood sugar levels crashed and I started to feel light headed.  As a result of this my very regimented steps in a straight line turned into a stagger with me weaving across the pavement and closed road into Brught Park.   Looking like a drunk swaying and stagerring prompted a couple of guys to rush over and ask me if I was OK and needed help getting to the finish line about 1/2 mile away still?  They'd both run and finished as they were wearing their medals but were genuinely concerned for me.  "No, I'm fine" I replied determined to cross the line under my own steam and on my own two feet.   One of the guys continued to walk away out the park but the other shadowed me from a distance walking back into the park, staying just out of sight but I could see him out of the corner of one eye.  Finally the finish line appeared in front of me and I knew my ordeal was at an end.  Mustering one last effort from deep inside I pushed as hard as I could for the line and crossed it, I acknowledge my shadow who gave me a fist pump and turned to go home.  

Cheered on by the finish line team and spectators I asked for some directions to the food and a chair before I collapsed.  I eased my creaking limbs onto a chair and tucked into a plate of vegetarian chilli and rice, and some carrot and corriander soup - Baxters of course.  There was too much chilli in the chilli so after a couple of spoons I gave up and stuck with the soup.  Getting directions to the nearest place I could catch a cab home, or well back to my hotel I started another epic 1/2 mile walk across playing fields to the ice rink.  I was now in quite some pain with all my joints literally stiffening and seizeing up with every step.  Pleased to say I made it back to my hotel and a hot bath, a meal and a very comfy bed.

The following morning the restaurant was full of fellow runners recounting their marathon stories over breakfast and many of experienced runners commended me on my bravery for choosing Loch Ness as my first marathon finishing.  Surprisingly a couple of young guys in their 20's who had run London Marathon in around 4 hours and other road races told me that they didn't finish as they had to stop at 22 miles, it was simply too tough.   Wow, this made me feel like I'd really accomplished something even though my time was 7 hours 16 minutes.  I later discovered that of the 4000 starters just over 2800 actually finished so clearly a lot of people didn't finish as a result of injury, exhaustion or both.   

   Local newspaper gets behind my QHF Marathon Challenge for 2018
​​Peterborough: 14th October 2018 - Perkins Gt Eastern Run - 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles)​​​​
So 3 weeks after finishing my first marathon in Loch Ness the final race in my QHF Marathon Challenge 2018 arrived in the shape of the Great Eastern Run - 1/2 Marathon in my home town Peterborough.  After running in the sunshine in Brighton back in April and the cool and slight damp of Loch Ness, Peterborough delivered what can only be described as a complete and utter washout.  The fact it had been raining non-stop the night before the roads were awash with pools and puddles of water, not ideal for a rod race.  An hour before the start of the race as I sat in Starbucks with my pot of oatmeal people came dashing in to get out of the rain.  "Oh my god its chucking it down out there, these guys must be crazy running in that" remarked a woman at the next table to her friend.  "Totally mad", I remarked as they turned and looked at me, I smiled and they knew I was just kidding, but the idea of running 13 miles in the rain wasn't floating my boat all of a sudden.

I got to the start line about 40 minutes before the race got underway only to learn that because of the rain the start might be delayed.  Some folks took cover from the rain under trees but there wasn't enough cover for 5000 people, so it was just a case of standing there and getting wet.  I had the smarts to bring along a waterproof running jacket with a hood so I managed to stay dry for as long as I could.  

Finally we were underway and it was a genuine relief to start moving and get warm.  The rain continued to hammer down and still the crowds turned out to cheer us on our way - thank you guys you don't know how much it means to see people cheering and clapping as you run.  It wasn't long before I found running in the waterproof jacket wasn't only uncomfortable but also I was overheating, so off it came.  Part of me wanted to throw it away but as its a nice jacket so I decided to thread it around my waistband carrier, not great but it still allowed me to run.  

With the upper half of my body soaking wet it wasn't long before I couldn't avoid a puddle and bang, my feet were now soaking wet.  If there is one thing I hate and many runners would agree with me is running in wet sodden socks and shoes.  As the rain continued the crowds lining the route thinned out and who could blame them as the only thing worse than running in the rain is standing in the rain - that goes for the race marshalls too who did a great job in awful conditions.

As I was about 1km from the finish line I got a phone call from Carl Brodie from HEAL the charity I am raising money for.  Unable to run and take the call I ignored it and continued towards the line and 400m from the line my friend Marc Hernandez caught sight of me and started to cheer and shout my name.  As the rain had made the final stretch of the course on grass, muddy with pot holes I was scared I might slip or trip so much so the last 200m were spent looking down and occasionally peering straight ahead.   My focus was so intent I totally missed the guys from HEAL standing to the side holding up a big banner with my name on it!

I was delighted when I crossed the finish line and was greeted by the HEAL team.  Even with the rain I felt I maintained a good consistent pace, better than last years race so imagine my disappointment when my onboard sensors were calling a race time of sub 3 hours, around 2.58 minutes but the chip time across the line was 3.16 minutes.  Strangely people recorded as finishing a long way after me had faster chip times, I am sure something went wrong with the timing this year.

Timings aside I was pleased to not just have finished this 1/2 marathon but to have successfully run a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 Full Marathon all in the same year - not bad for a novice runner with no marathon experience.

I am unlikely to hit my rather ambitious target of £5000 for HEAL possibly because I have spent the last 3 years badgering the same family and friends for donations but also the recent charity scandals have definitely put some people off from donating to charity.  My revised total is therefore £1500 which I am confident I can reach in the coming weeks as I scoop up any last minute donations.
​​Brighton: 15th April 2018-BM 10K - 1/4 Marathon (6.5 miles)​​​​

My 1/4, 1/2 and 1 Full Marathon Challenge (QHF Marathon Challenge 2018) started in Brighton in April with my running the Brighton 10km run equating roughly to a 1/4 marathon.  I was confident of running a 10km as this is a typical training run for me but one must never get complacent as people do get injured on the shortest of runs and 10km isn't strictly a short run.  

I was delighted that on this first run I not only had the added support but also a running partner in the shape of my very good friend Fiona.  We go back some 36 years as friends having first met as students at Hatfield Polytechnic.  Fiona had never run a 10km so this was unchartered territory for her and she did brilliantly well in maintaining a very respectable pace and finishing pretty much in tandem with me.

This was the perfect way to kick off my QHF Challenge in Brighton a lovely city, one of my favourite places with the UK and with one of my favourite people in the world, Fiona.

I am sure its only going to get harder from here on in with a full marathon in Loch Ness as my next stop. 

   Local newspaper gets behind my QHF Marathon Challenge for 2018

My 10K London Winter Run on 4th February 2018 for Cancer Research UK - For my friend Darren Gentle fighting cancer now and my late father Gurdial Singh Rathore & father in law Darshan Singh Bhatti, both taken by cancer.

On Sunday 4th February 2018 I will be joining 16.000 people to run the 10K Winter Run for Cancer Research UK in London .  Some of the City of London's busiest roads will be closed for a few hours so us runners can pound the route around London passing some of the most iconic landmarks.

Although I often run 10K on my own at my own pace this will be a very different experience with literally thousands running beside me and I will be doing my best to up my pace and finish in a time that is a personal best.   I am looking forward to the challenge of the Winter Run not just to test myself once again but also to raise money for Cancer Research UK.   Help me end cancer forever by supporting my run - go to and donate - thank you.

Update I did it and got a PB at 1.18 bettering my previous PB of 1.22 to do 10Km.

Sikh Channel Telethon host raising £100,000 for last chance cancer treatment for 28 year old Inderpal Singh

In mid 2018 I was made aware of a young Sikh father Inderpal Singh who had been fighting cancer and was given one final chance of life saving treatment in Israel but his family needed to raise £100,000 for his treatment.  Kam Singh and the team at the Sikh Channel took up the challenge.  As I was working on Late Night Banter at the Sikh Channel I went along to help by answering telephones.  However with Kam's voice failing and a telethon happening live I was asked to get in front of the camera and help get people donating.    The telethon appeal was originally allocated a one hour slot but as the donations poured in and we were all determined to try and get to the £100,000 target the show was extended and after three hours we'd done it with the help of very genrous donors over £100,000 had been raised in literally 24 hours.   The money was used for Inderpal's treatment but sadly as his illness was very advanced and his body so weak from 5 years of cancer treatment he didn't survive.  I like thousands was mortified by this news but grateful for all peoples and communities who came together to help give him a chance.